Sadly, couples can spend most of their married life feeling distant and unfulfilled. Even if they pursue counseling for their marriage they may soon revert back to the old patterns.
Why is it that some couples just can’t seem to make progress in their marriage?
1. The commitment to the marriage may be unequal; one partner wants to try while the other does not.
2. Change in a marriage takes hard work and some folks are just too lazy to make the effort.
3. The lies they believe about themselves and each other seem just too strong and so remain deceived.
4. Drugs of choice are used: alcohol, street drugs, misuse of prescription drugs, cutting, gambling, busyness, porn, illicit relationships, etc.
5. They fail to turn to God as the source of their strength and instead rely on themselves.
How do you make real progress?
1. Real change in a marriage is possible if both spouses will humble themselves before God.
2. Get Biblical help for your marriage before Stage V cancer; even then God can work miracles.
3. Consider joining a group like Celebrate Recovery for addictions.
4. Real change will take place when spouses substitute the truth of God’s Word for the old messages they have believed.
5. Real change ultimately happens when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing.
Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27
Remember, marriage is for better for worse for keeps.
For Better, For Worse, For Keeps Ministries © 2013